Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Things I do differently now that I am back from Haiti

  1. Drive. I didn't drive at all when I was in Haiti, and I missed it while I was there, but was not all that anxious to drive over there due to not having any idea where in the world I was going, or how to deal with the other people on the road who drove very "Haitian-like" or the roads them selves- It's an important thing to know which pot holes are OK to go through, and which ones need to be avoided at all costs! So how does this affect me now that I am back in the USA? Well... I drive slower, and more cautiously for one thing. I do not really have any reason to do so since the roads are up-kept here, but I do. Maybe something about that last day in Haiti, and the almost falling off the cliff experience has something to do with it. :grin: I will never know.
  2. Drink Milk. :grin: Before I went to Haiti, I would drink as much milk as I wanted, which was very often! I love that stuff! Since being back from Haiti, I still drink milk, but not near as much as I used to. Something about going 2 months without real milk (with the exception of that one half gallon that I broke down and bought when it went on sale for 8 dollars...) will make it OK to not get it every day like you were used to.
  3. Drink more water. I drank water before I went, but now I drink more.
  4. Use chapstick! :grin: My skin and hair and nails and such had acclimated to Haiti! Since I have gotten back to the USA, I have had to use chapstick at least 3-4 times a day to keep my lips from bleeding from cracking. I know, I know, you are thinking that I live in a really humid place compared to where you are, but let me tell you! Texas humidity has nothing on Haitian humidity!
  5. Don't use the air-conditioner/heater near as much. Partially because I don't really need it now that the weather here is much cooler than it was when I left, but partially because I got used to not having it, and being ok.
  6. Occasionally. I will use ice in my drinks now. I know, if you knew me before I left, you are wondering what in the world happened to me! To be honest, I have no idea, but it was probably due to the fact that it was so hot that the ice didn't really last in Haiti anyways, and it was a way to get something cold... even if it was for 10 minutes. It's like it was a mini air-conditioner, just one inside your mouth. :grin:
  7. I still listen to music, and the radio, but not near as much as I used to. I think this is another thing I just got used to not having access to.
  8. Text and talk on the phone. I still have as much to say, maybe more, but a different attitude towards phones, and their use.
~ Chelbertina

2 comments:

  1. What about food? :grin: I cook a lot less because I have a lot more competition for the stove... is that what you mean?

    ReplyDelete